Eating local and seasonal greens and veg is not only great for your health and planet but also beneficial for some poor small holder organic farmers who passionately grow this produce! For every bag of produce you buy, you empower a family of poor organic farmers send their children to school, you enable them to access health and sanitation, and you help increase their sustainability. And in return you’re getting tons of nutrition from eating this produce!
TheVillageGreenShop has taken a second look at our sometimes neglected native vegs and greens and investigated why we should take advantage of its all year round abundance and nutritional benefit.
We cannot emphasise why these local and native veg should be in your weekly diet. Because they are powerhouse of vitamins, minerals and antioxidant properties that keeps free radicals at bay, gives you energy and prevents the onset of diseases.
Read on and take advantage when these greens and veg are at its best, most nutritious and bursting with rich flavour!
- Ampalaya – Increases the production of beta cells by the pancreas, thereby improving the body’s ability to produce insulin that controls the blood sugar for diabetics. Excellent sources of Vitamin B, iron, calcium, and phosphorus. Also rich in beta carotene. Cure for diabetes, coughs, skin diseases, and sterility in women, parasiticide, antipyretic and as purgative among others.
- Arugula- Very good source of folates, vitamin A, B-complex group of vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin-K. Adequate vitamin-K levels in the diet help limiting neuronal damage in the brain; thus, has established role in the treatment of patients suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.
- Baby Ginger- Contains anti-inflammatory, carminative, anti-flatulent, and anti-microbial properties. Effective against E.coli induced diarrhoea, especially in children. Contains a good amount of minerals like potassium, manganese, copper, and magnesium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure.
- Basil – Low in calories and contains no cholesterol, but are very rich source of many essential nutrients, minerals, and vitamins that are required for optimum health. Contains exceptionally high levels of beta-carotene, vitamin A, contains a good amount of minerals like potassium, manganese, copper, and magnesium. Excellent source of iron.
- Cucumbers – Great for skin and eyes. Reduced risk of several cancer types, including breast cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer and prostate cancer. Promotes joint health, relieves gout and arthritis pain. Cures diabetes, reduces cholesterol and controls blood pressure
- Eggplants (long and round varieties) – Brain food, antioxidants, prevents cellular damage that can promote cancer; and lessens free radical damage in joints, which is a primary factor in rheumatoid arthritis.
- Gourd (Upo) – Relieves indigestion and constipation problems. Good source of niacin (vitamin B-3), pantothenic acid (vitamin B-5), pyridoxine (vitamin B-6) and minerals such as iron, zinc, potassium, manganese and magnesium.
- Guyabano – Contains strong anti-cancer properties. Proved to be up to 10,000 times stronger in slowing the growth of cancer cells than Adriamycin, a commonly used chemotherapeutic drug! This plant is proven antimicrobial agent for both bacterial and fungal infections, is effective against internal parasites and worms, lowers high blood pressure and is used for depression, stress and nervous disorders. Cure for hair loss.
- Jute Leaves (Saluyot) –High antioxidant properties primarily in the form of Vitamin E. Cure for arthritis, hardening of arteries, heart and kidney ailments. Contains vitamin A, which aids in repairing the body’s cells and improves eyesight, Vitamin C or ascorbic acid, which improves blood circulation and helps lower the risk of cataracts and other eye disorders, Vitamin E, which slows down the aches and pains associated with aging, holds infertility at bay and increases stamina and has high percentage of calcium, which contributes to strong teeth and bones.
- Kangkong (potato vine) – Promotes excellent bowel movement. Eliminate bad fats that clogged up the blood vessel walls, making it good for those with high cholesterol and hypertension problems. Great for diabetic. Excellent source of iron, calcium and Vitamin C.
- Lemongrass (Tanglad) – Herbal medicine for gastro-intestinal problems stomach-aches, diarrhoea, gas, bowel spasms, vomiting, fever, flu, and headaches. Also cure for cough, cold & sore throats; anxiety, high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, colitis; aids digestion, smoothens rough, dry, scaly skin, cure for acne, constipation, kidney detoxification, insomnia, enhances relaxation and deep sleep.
- Lettuces (curly,frilly and romaine) – very low calorie green-vegetables. Store house of many phyto-nutrients that have health promoting and disease prevention properties. Excellent source of several Vitamin A and beta carotenes, vitamin K, folates and vitamin C. Rich in xanthin and carotenes which protects against age-related macular disease (ARMD) in the elderly. Also contains good amounts of minerals like iron, calcium, magnesium, and potassium, which are very essential for body metabolism. Also rich in B-complex group of vitamins like thiamin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), riboflavins.
- Loofah (Patola) – Good source of calcium and iron and an excellent source of phosphorus and vitamin B.
- Mango – Contains strong antioxidant compounds that protects against colon, breast, leukaemia and prostate cancers. High levels of fibre, pectin and vitamin C lowers serum cholesterol levels especially the bad cholesterol. Clears clogged pores and eliminate pimples. Great source of vitamin A, which promotes good eyesight, prevents night blindness and dry eyes. Alkalizes the entire body.
- Moringa (Malunggay) – Super vegetable that offers excellent source of protein, minerals, and vitamins rarely found in any other herbs and green leafy vegetables. Has the richest source of vitamin A, vitamin-C, vital B-complex vitamins, calcium, iron, copper, manganese, zinc, selenium, and magnesium.
- Mustard Greens (mustasa) – More vitamin A, carotenes, vitamin K, and flavonoid anti-oxidants than some of commonly consumed fruits and vegetables around. Excellent source of several essential minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, selenium, and manganese. Prevents arthritis, osteoporosis, iron deficiency anaemia, protects against cardiovascular diseases, asthma and colon and prostate cancers.
- Okra – The pods are among the very low calorie vegetables, rich sources of dietary fibre, minerals, and vitamins; often recommended by nutritionists in cholesterol controlling and weight reduction programs. Contains healthy amounts of vitamin A, and flavonoid anti-oxidants such as beta carotenes, xanthin and lutein, with highest levels of these anti-oxidants. These compounds are known to have antioxidant properties and are essential for vision. Good source of foliates, vitamin-C, rich in B-complex group of vitamins like niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamine and pantothenic acid, vitamin K. Also good source of many important minerals such as iron, calcium, manganese and magnesium.
- Pechay – Rich source of Vitamins A, C, Potassium and fibre. Low calorie and low fat, which makes it ideal for dieters.
- Petite green and ripe papaya – Powerhouse of nutrients. Prevents cancer, and cure for gastro problem. Great for the skin, relieves digestion problems, protects your eyes and heart. Rich sources of vitamin A, C and E, carotenes, and other phyto-nutrients antioxidant nutrients which are very powerful antioxidants. Good source of fibre that lower high cholesterol levels.
- Spring Onions and Leeks – Great source of pyridoxine, folic acid, niacin, riboflavin, and thiamine. Also excellent source of vitamin A, C, K, and vitamin E.
- Squash – Low in Calories. Brilliant source of vitamin C and very good source of magnesium, vitamin A (particularly in its concentration of carotenoids, including beta-carotene), fiber, folate, copper, riboflavin and phosphorus. Also abundant in potassium, manganese, and antioxidants that keep free radicals at bay. With its high beta-carotene content, it protects us from pollutants and chemicals that lead to cancer. The high level of vitamin C prevents premature aging (aids in the production of collagen and building of bone mass) and cancer as well as inhibiting cell division. The magnesium found in yellow squash has been shown to reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke and indispensible to the health of joints and bones. It also contributes to the mineral density of the spinal column. Along with its potassium content, magnesium is good for reducing high blood pressure. The abundant fibre content of yellow squash promotes colon’s health since it promotes regularity and adds bulk to the stool. Alleviates the symptoms of prostate. Prevents the onset of cataracts and macular degeneration. High levels of manganese which aids in maintaining healthy bone structure, calcium absorption, enzyme creation, and bone building. The iron, foliate, zinc and phosphorous found in yellow squash all contribute to the mineral health of bones, and help fortify against osteoporosis.
- String Beans – Contain vitamins C, A and folic acid, which is a B vitamin. Good source of carbohydrates, protein, dietary fibre and minerals.
- Sweet Potato Tops (Talbos ng Camote) available in red and green varieties. Can be steamed and mix with tomatoes, lemon, ginger, onions and pepper. High antioxidant and found to be excellent remedy for dengue fever. This food is low in saturated fat and sodium, and very low in cholesterol. It is also a good source of protein, niacin, calcium and iron, and a very good source of dietary fibre, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Foliate, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Manganese.
- Sweet Potatoes (local and California Variety) – Contains vitamin A, vitamin C, manganese, fiber, B vitamins, potassium and even iron. May even protect cigarette smokers and those who live with them from emphysema by its vitamin A. High antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. The beta-carotene and vitamin C protects the body of cancer-friendly free radicals. Excellent food for those suffering from either form of arthritis or asthma. With Low Glycemic Index, this is great for diabetics. Eat organically-grown sweet potatoes whenever possible so you can eat them with their skin, which contains nutrients.
- Vine Spinach (Alugbati) – Served either steamed or raw but raw is better. Toss it in a mix of tomatoes, cucumber, shredded carrots and vinaigrette dressing. Rich in fibre and Vitamins A, B, C and iron. Low in fat and calories and helps you control your weight.
Get inspired to plan your meal around these nutritious vegs and greens all year round not just in the summer!
Would like to TRY FIRST?
Contact us at
0927 675 firstname.lastname@example.org
If I whet your appetite to eating healthy and nutritious real foods, it’s excellent value for you if you SUBSCRIBE:
For example a pack of pakbet mix or green leafy mix which contains 7 types of ingredients each is between P150 and P 165.
Contact us at
0927 675 email@example.com
HOW TO ORDER:
ORDER anytime of the week FOR PICKUP/DELIVERY on THURSDAYS (for veg and greens) after 5 pm and for meats and dairy every Saturday after 5 pm.
The VillageGreenShop has over 200 plus of sustainably grown and raised living foods to choose from if you would like to completely shift to eating healthy and nutritious meal.
We can fill your weekly food basket of your choice of brown or black rice, free-range eggs, fresh cow’s milk, coco sugar, heirloom or regular tomatoes, herbs, veg and greens of your choice, native chicken, beef cuts, pork cuts and many more. The choice is yours. See Facebook update. It cannot get better than this, you will see the difference and the benefit is all yours! Please share this news to your family and friends too!
0927 675 5199 /firstname.lastname@example.org